- The Horticulture sector plays an important role in the State and being the important source of State Economy and also source of livelihood for substantial portion of the population of the J&K State.
- About more than seven lakh families are directly or indirectly involved and depended on the Horticulture Industry. J&K State has been declared as Agri Export Zone for Apple and Walnut Horticulture Produce.
- Horticulture is the important source of GDP on account of the fact that against the production of 1.83 MTs in 1972-73 the production has risen to the level of 24.94 LMTs which raised the turnover of Rs. 6000.00 crores approximately during 2015-16.
- The funds are allocated to the department under State Plan (CAPEX Budget) and Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS).
In State Plan activities under CAPEX in respect of Horticulture Sector
- Maintenance of Departmental nurseries /orchards by provision of inputs like fertilizers/budding grafting material, seed, seedling etc.
- Nursery Registration and supply of scion/bud wood to the nurseries.
- To provide material cost to meet convergence under MGNREGA.
- Maintenance of State Houses
- Chemicals and equipments for Canning centers.
- Training courses in art of fruit and vegetable preservations.
- Mobile demonstrations for in art of fruit and vegetable preservations
- Tools/Spares/machinery for modern technical support.
- Upto 50% Subsidy/Incentive for small and marginal farmers for area expansion programme including PP Chemicals etc.
- Up gradation/development of Departmental Infrastructure/Assets.
- Establishment of Demonstration plots of strawberry/grapes/kiwi etc.
- Support to Soil Testing Laboratory.
- Support to nut fruit cultivation.
Setting up of Testing Laboratory (Soil/Pesticides and Fungicides)
- One Soil Testing Laboratory has been established by Agriculture Production Department at Shopian and functionalized during February 2016.
- Two mobile Soil Testing Labs has been pressed into service. One is stationed at Anantnagand other at Baramulla to cater to the requirement of Southern and Northern districts.
- A Detailed Project Report for establishment of Pesticide Testing Laboratory has been received and posed for funding to Planning, Development and Monitoring Department.
- The Department collects samples of pesticides, fungicides and send for testing to various laboratories within the State as well as outside for testing.
- Department has delegated powers of pesticide inspector to the HDOs in their respective jurisdictions.